Before I scare you away with the term “Bone Broth”… read just a tiny bit more.
Bone broth is a common term in the health, gut healing world. All it really means is Homemade Chicken/Beef/Seafood broth. Not the kind you buy in a can (ew…. but necessary if you can cook), or put a bouillon cube in some water (I’d rather buy a soup in the can)… the kind that sits in a pot(crock pot will change your life) for 12+++++ hours, the kind that actually HEALS you from the inside out.
Ever heard of Pho?? HelloooOOOO- Pho!!!!! (Gosh, I’m not as funny as I think ) I might have cut out a few steps on making Pho- but the whole concept of it is the same– you have the meat, bones, veggies, & noodles — there you have it- chicken/beef/seafood soup that heals you.
That’s why people have Chicken soup when they are sick. Did you ever wonder why that was the case? It’s because the bone marrow and collagen from the chickens seeps out of joints and bones during long-term cooking. It simmers for a longer period of time for this all to occur. You MUST put Apple Cider Vinegar in with the water + bones… it’s what draws out the goodness of the bones. You can add veggies, potatoes, whatever you would like to make it more of a Chicken Soup- go for it. I’m more of a plain broth when I’m sick- like right now… It really does HEAL YOU! It might take some time for you to get over the whole bone thing… it took me a few times… ok, fine it took me a year-ish. It sure does heal your gut and balance out your pH levels.
- Improve digestion
- Improve connective tissue
- Increase hair growth/strength (collagen baby)
- Boost immune system
- High in calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus
- High in amino acids
So here’s my recipe for homemade bone broth (SUPER EASY!)
(depends on how big your pot or crock pot is- this is what I do though)
- 4 lbs. of Grass-fed chicken/fish/beef/lamb(etc.) with the bone
- Chicken feet ( I know this is extremely gross- I can’t even stomach this while I’m typing- it grosses me out to the extreme but apparently it’s the best for the soup but I will not do it for the life of me, sorry; I just can’t) I just doing chicken soup is enough. You could also do Vegetable soup but I don’t think its AS beneficial as the chicken marrow
- 12 cups of water
- 2 tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1-2 tbsp. Himalayan or Sea Salt
- 4 cloves of garlic- chopped
- Optional: chicken, seasoning, 1 onion, 1 carrot, 2 celery sticks, pepper,
- Put everything in a pot- simmer for 24-48 hours- I use a crockpot because you put it all in a pot then leave!!! 🙂 – I put it on low
- Allow to cool slightly and strain. Transfer the broth to an airtight container and refrigerate for 4-6 hours or overnight. This will allow the fat to rise to the top and solidify.
- Scrape the fat off the top with a spoon (if you want- however I want that collagen so I don’t because collagen is amazing for the skin and I’m not big on collagen in my smoothies- I can only take SO MUCH ha!) . If you don’t talk it off it will leave you with a gelatinous bone broth when cold if you leave it there on the top of the soup- do not be warned! It is good for you!!!!!.
- Store in an airtight mason jar or glass container or freeze until ready to use. When ready to use, slowly warm the broth over a low heat to bring it back to a liquid consistency. No microwave- kills all that GOOD bacteria your just created!
- Enjoy!! Happy Healing!
Any questions- leave in the comments!!
Has anyone ever been to a Chicken farm where they show you the humane was to kill them? Makes me cringe, however I want to know they are happy for a little bit of time?
Random question: Any farms in Denver, CO where I can pet goats and do yoga? I love goats, and I loveee yoga/pilates. 🙂
By all means, get naked, take your clothes off but do yourself a favor and don’t by into this Naked drink.
Naked- bare, undisguised, uncovered…
See what this smoothie brand owned by PepsiCo did there… ? This “All Natural” drink is far from actually being all natural. It is mislabeled and PepsiCo had to pay 9 million dollars to settle a lawsuit on this smoothie (USA Today)
Let’s pick this baby apart.
On the bottom of the bottle it states “No Sugar Added” … this is deceiving. No CANE sugar has been added but let’s look at the ingredients.
The first thing that jumps out at me is the 1st ingredient! APPLE JUICE. Not Apples, not apple puree, APPLE JUICE PEOPLE! The juice that contains all that sugar! Pineapple JUICE! What is in puree? Sugar? You got it! When it says fruit juice and puree, they add concentrated fruit sugar without the benefit of the fruit’s fiber.
Let’s look at the grams of Sugar in this beloved drink.
28g Sugar x 2 PER BOTTLE = 56g Sugar… I thought the bottle said “No Added Sugar” ? (key in Thinking Emoji)
Fifty-Six grams is equivalent to 11 teaspoons of sugar. Might as well go have a Coke instead – same size container of Coca Cola has 41 grams of sugar. Just kidding. Please don’t…
Go have a Snickers instead at 29 grams of sugar. HA!
And the protein… 2 gram. Really? I hope you aren’t drinking this for the gains!
Whip this smoothie up instead my friends!
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (I use unsweetened Vanilla Almond Breeze)
- 1 frozen banana (chopped) (or another frozen fruit)
- 1 scoop protein powder
- A handful of spinach
- 1 tsp chia seeds
Blend until smooth!!! YUM – about 280 calories and delicious !
What’s your favorite smoothie combination?
Friday was sooooo difficult to get through energy wise. I was exhausted!
Casual Friday outfit 🙂
I worked 2 jobs and was ready for BED afterwards! I decided to stay in and finish “True Detective” show with the boy and I cried my eyes out! AH! It was so good!! I definitely recommend it.
Saturday started with the gym! 🙂 WOOOOO but it took A LOT to push myself through the pain.
This gym has a smoothie bar which has this DELISH smoothie made of : bananas(of course), pineapple, spinach, protein powder, LEMON, and something else that I need to ask them about because holy crap I am addicted.
We were supposed to do Taste of DC but it was raining and didn’t feel like rushing so we decided on a winery day instead. Well I failed on that. There are zero wineries near Arlington, VA. So a Wine Bar sufficed. Grand Cru Wine Bar was AMAZING! Great wine, amazing cheese, incredible service and a bartender that knew his stuff 🙂 Very satisfied.
Then we went to Bonefish Grill for dinn dinn. WHOA!!!!! Bang bang shrimp is to die for. I couldn’t decide between the Rainbow Trout and Tilapia stuffed with shrimp, crab, scallops….. I got the Tilapia. Great decision. YUMMMMMMMMMMMMM. (Can I say yum some more?) I need it again. Best date night ever.
Sunday Footba…… no– a hike first please.
Then we went to Trader Joe’s (my all time fave store) to pick up some dinner items. Ground turkey, broc + cauliflower, sweet potatoes.
While I cooked, the bf watched football 🙂 Perfectly ok with that.
That’ssssssss a wrap! 🙂
Much love xoxo,
Whatever I feel like! Usually I like to workout legs on Mondays but today… I was feeling a run + shoulders.
My shoulder workout included 15 reps, 3 sets of:
- Shoulder Press
- Side lateral raise
- Alternate front raise
- Reverse dumbbell flyes
- Lat pull down
- Dumbbell hang pull
- Arnold dumbbell press
Phew! I’m worn out!
I got home at a decent time so I decided to cook my lunches for the week from what I bought yesterday (since I was too lazy last night). I didn’t cook everything… because I tend to get tired of the same lunches. Turkey burgers and yellow squash it is!
I read somewhere to add cottage cheese to the turkey burger in order to make the burgers moist since turkey tends to dry up because there isn’t much fat. I added it to 3 of the burgers.
And then the usual- yellow squash with garlic powder. 🙂
Time to relax & watch my lovely Redskins get killed by the Seahawks 😥
Today I wasn’t feeling so hot. I honestly thought I should probably stay in bed all day..
Then I got a second wind and decided to get my butt out of bed and go for a run! Sunday’s have always been my “clear my head” kind of days.. and running does just that. I don’t worry, I’m not stressed, all I feel and think about is running. And nature. Today was a great run– especially because I went a different way and it took me to WATER! Who doesn’t like running by water?!
Running + water + nature = best day ever
I never knew this was here! This was on the W&OD trail in Arlington, VA! WOW! I don’t have to go to Great Falls, VA to get my nature kick?! I’M IN!
Also, now that I’m back to running because it’s OH SO nice out.. I’m finally seeing progress from working out. Starting to feel like myself again 🙂 Have to keep telling myself –> Trust the process.
Happy Sunday!! 🙂
What did you do this Sunday? Sunday Funday? Or was it an active Sunday :)?
Sooo I haven’t been to the gym since… last Monday. I’ve been super sick – coughing every 2 minutes, blowing my nose in between coughing, lost my voice for a couple of days. Last week I tried to go on a walk, then started running because well… walking is boring. Well, running lasted 5 minutes until I couldn’t breathe or my nose was running. haha I know , probably TMI.
So today I felt like I could lift weights. Well I sure did lift weights!! It was the best workout I feel like I’ve had in months! Could be due to the pre-workout C4 I took prior. I haven’t taken pre-workout in about 4 years! Man was I energized!
My workout consisted of:
- Leg Press – 120 lbs – til I couldn’t anymore (legs shaking)
- Leg Extensions- 70 lbs – til my legs were burning beyond I could take it
- Leg Adductors – 70 lbs – Reps: 10. Sets: 3
- Split leg squats – w/ 2 12lb. dumbells- Reps: 15. Sets: 3
- Rows: 60 lbs – Sets: 2 . Until I couldn’t anymore
- Bicep curls: 12 lbs. – Reps: 15. Sets: 2
- Tricep swing backs (is that what they’re called? haha): 12 lbs- Reps: 15. Sets: 2
Haha- thought this picture was funny 🙂 Lifting heavy DOES NOT make you huge/bulky. It takes many years for males to get that big with heavy weights and most likely steroids! Lift heavy ladies!!
I wanted to do legs and arms since I slacked last week. It definitely made me sore and waddle down the stairs 😉 penguin style!
Hope you all had a great day!
What’s your favorite part of your body to workout? Legs, arms, abs, back?