Before I scare you away with the term “Bone Broth”… read just a tiny bit more.
Bone broth is a common term in the health, gut healing world. All it really means is Homemade Chicken/Beef/Seafood broth. Not the kind you buy in a can (ew…. but necessary if you can cook), or put a bouillon cube in some water (I’d rather buy a soup in the can)… the kind that sits in a pot(crock pot will change your life) for 12+++++ hours, the kind that actually HEALS you from the inside out.
Ever heard of Pho?? HelloooOOOO- Pho!!!!! (Gosh, I’m not as funny as I think ) I might have cut out a few steps on making Pho- but the whole concept of it is the same– you have the meat, bones, veggies, & noodles — there you have it- chicken/beef/seafood soup that heals you.
That’s why people have Chicken soup when they are sick. Did you ever wonder why that was the case? It’s because the bone marrow and collagen from the chickens seeps out of joints and bones during long-term cooking. It simmers for a longer period of time for this all to occur. You MUST put Apple Cider Vinegar in with the water + bones… it’s what draws out the goodness of the bones. You can add veggies, potatoes, whatever you would like to make it more of a Chicken Soup- go for it. I’m more of a plain broth when I’m sick- like right now… It really does HEAL YOU! It might take some time for you to get over the whole bone thing… it took me a few times… ok, fine it took me a year-ish. It sure does heal your gut and balance out your pH levels.
- Improve digestion
- Improve connective tissue
- Increase hair growth/strength (collagen baby)
- Boost immune system
- High in calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus
- High in amino acids
So here’s my recipe for homemade bone broth (SUPER EASY!)
(depends on how big your pot or crock pot is- this is what I do though)
- 4 lbs. of Grass-fed chicken/fish/beef/lamb(etc.) with the bone
- Chicken feet ( I know this is extremely gross- I can’t even stomach this while I’m typing- it grosses me out to the extreme but apparently it’s the best for the soup but I will not do it for the life of me, sorry; I just can’t) I just doing chicken soup is enough. You could also do Vegetable soup but I don’t think its AS beneficial as the chicken marrow
- 12 cups of water
- 2 tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1-2 tbsp. Himalayan or Sea Salt
- 4 cloves of garlic- chopped
- Optional: chicken, seasoning, 1 onion, 1 carrot, 2 celery sticks, pepper,
- Put everything in a pot- simmer for 24-48 hours- I use a crockpot because you put it all in a pot then leave!!! 🙂 – I put it on low
- Allow to cool slightly and strain. Transfer the broth to an airtight container and refrigerate for 4-6 hours or overnight. This will allow the fat to rise to the top and solidify.
- Scrape the fat off the top with a spoon (if you want- however I want that collagen so I don’t because collagen is amazing for the skin and I’m not big on collagen in my smoothies- I can only take SO MUCH ha!) . If you don’t talk it off it will leave you with a gelatinous bone broth when cold if you leave it there on the top of the soup- do not be warned! It is good for you!!!!!.
- Store in an airtight mason jar or glass container or freeze until ready to use. When ready to use, slowly warm the broth over a low heat to bring it back to a liquid consistency. No microwave- kills all that GOOD bacteria your just created!
- Enjoy!! Happy Healing!
Any questions- leave in the comments!!
Has anyone ever been to a Chicken farm where they show you the humane was to kill them? Makes me cringe, however I want to know they are happy for a little bit of time?
Random question: Any farms in Denver, CO where I can pet goats and do yoga? I love goats, and I loveee yoga/pilates. 🙂